run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Marathon Training: Week 1 Review

So, my marathon training officially kicked off last Monday. Work has been absolutely nuts this week, so I am just now getting around to talking about it.

I'm training for the Flying Monkey Marathon in November. It's hilly and hard, but I've done it 3 times before and I'm ready to tackle it again.

Me in November, probably.

If this were two years ago, I'd email the ole Coach Bitch and have her draw me up a training plan. But, I know that being held responsible to a plan that someone makes for me, would cause too much anxiety right now. Unfortunately, this is not going to be one of those training cycles where I can say YES... Tuesdays are speedwork days and Thursdays are mid-length long run days. Sadly, the way my schedule is right now, each week is going to be different.

So, I am going to have to make do with what I have schedule-wise.

Roughly, that means this... Run When I Can.

Now, this is what I hope that's going to look like:

Weekend Warrior: I am going to capitalize on my weekends. Once I get up to half-way decent shape (hopefully only a couple more weeks till that happens), I am going to pack my weekends with running. That means, Running Long on Saturdays and running again Semi-Long on Sundays.

Tuesdays Off: For whatever reason, Tuesdays are my hell day at work. So, instead of scheduling runs for that day and then feeling terrible that I missed a run. I'm just going to make that a scheduled off day. If something happens, and I'm actually able to get a run in that day, then I will! Bonus!

Mid-day Runs: I am going to ATTEMPT to start scheduling 1 mid-day run a week. My productivity at work peaks from 7am-11am and then again from about 3:00pm-6:00pm. So, I'm hoping to bite the bullet and go to work with my hair in a ponytail one morning and then slip out for an extended lunch in the middle of the day to run, shower, get ready for the second half day of work. Starting out, I probably won't need much more than my allotted 1 hour lunch, but as the miles inch up, then it will (hopefully) get closer to 2 hours. It sucks to have to re-apply makeup and all that in the middle of the day, but I think it could be a good solution to maximizing my productivity at work and getting a quality run in.

Now, did I employ any of that in Week 1?
 Nope.
But, I did find this adorable gif of a puppy and a pool of water. 

Also...

Treadmill: The KoB has a treadmill. I should take the opportunity to use it more than I do. Yes treadmills suck and I did 3 miles at one time on it last week and wanted to stab my eyes out with a dull kitchen knife the whole time. But, it could come in handy for doing quick EARLY morning runs since I can't leave my dog at home alone at my place early in the mornings.

Adorable? Yes.
But also conniving.
He goes apeshit in the mornings when I try to leave 
him before quiet hours are over (7am)
As soon as it's 7:01am.
Nary a peep.
Asshole.

So, week 1 looked like this:
Total Mileage: 26.5 miles
Cross-training: Almost an hour and a half total of weights, yoga, pilates. 
Long run: 9 miles

Not exactly burning it up out there, but ya know, we all have to start somewhere.




 



3 comments:

Gracie said...

Oh, our mileage looks about the same. I impressed myself by getting up early today and doing my strength work AND adding 3 little miles, so I might beat you this week...by three little miles.

Carina said...

Happy training! I should take more advantage of my weekends, I tend to use Saturdays as a rest day, which is really kind of a waste.

JojaJogger said...

It says right on the Monkey website that you can't train for the race :)