run, rest, eat, bitch, buy things, cross-train, blog, repeat.

Monday, February 1, 2016

Long Runs and Bonking

Saturday I met Liz and the Nashville Striders for their first group training run of the season. The group targets the Country Music St. Jude Rock n Roll Marathon (or whatever the hell they are calling it these days), so every other weekend till April 30th they will have a supported long run. Since I'm running Oklahoma City Marathon the weekend before that, I will likely be doing most of these training runs.

This first one was 14 miles  (7 miles out and back). I've done this route/training run so many times, and its never one of my favorites. I think that has more to do with the fact that it's the first long training run of every cycle, so, everytime I'm running it, I'm just barely in shape enough to muster 14 miles.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

The run started off okay. Not great, but okay. Liz and I had a lot of catching up to do.... She just got back from her honeymoon and I had a couple weeks of a new job to chatter about. I really needed those conversations for this run. It was a good distraction.

But, by the time we hit a pretty big uphill around mile 12 or so, I was toast. 

 Figuratively speaking, of course.
I bonked pretty hard those last two miles. I urged Liz to go on without me, and after a mile or so of me pussyfooting around, she finally heeded my advice. I felt terrible and I chalked it up to just being a tough training run. But, then, I remembered that I didn't have my usual energy bar for breakfast. In fact, I didn't have anything, except coffee. 

Now, that's not to say that it wasn't a tough training run or that my fitness level isn't where it should be right now. But, I think running 14 miles on an empty stomach definitely didn't help matters. It's funny. I used to never eat breakfast before runs, but now that I've gotten accustomed to eating a couple hundred calories before running for over 90 minutes, it's become a total crutch. (And, I think I have much better runs when I've eaten something).

At the end of the day, I got the run done and I think mentally, that run is one that I'm glad to have over with. With that first training run of the season out of way, it feels like I'm really training for something again. And that feels damn good.

 Literally, obvi.

1 comment:

Gracie said...

First one done! And in my experience they always suck.